Skip to main content

The golden kids from Sanji Corn Village and surrounds...

DAY SEVEN - Mussoorie

With a day to fill whilst my son is at school, I ask reception at Rokeby Manor for something that would show me the local countryside and give me a feel of local life. I find myself in a taxi heading out to meet Lori a Canadian women, the co - founder of an English speaking primary school, who lives with her Indian husband in Sanji - a small village of around 300 people, known locally simply as  the corn village.

As we head out from Rokeby Manor, I get a chance to admire the countryside



The view of the mountainside back towards Woodstock school



If you look carefully the white in the middle of the photo it is not clouds, but the snow capped mountains of the Himalayas...





After an hour of travelling we reach Kempty Falls, one of the must-see places in the region - in my opinion no where near as worthwhile as what was to follow...

The taxi pulls up at some large gates and the security guard calls Lori from her teaching to show me around. Lori nearly 5 years ago married the Village Elder and together they have established this Garhwal English Medium School for primary aged kids in the area.




The school is supported by donations from family and friends and they are at capacity at 230 children. They provide all the uniform for the students from their underwear upwards, a school bag, and a nutritious lunch cooked on site by two cooks. They would like to include fruit and vitamins but the costs at the moment are prohibitive. There is a visiting doctor who attends twice a month.



We pop our heads into each of the classrooms to say hello and every class leaps up and sings a welcome to Lori and to me "welcome Sister".

Whilst Lori arranges for other staff to cover for her in the afternoon, I watch the younger children line up to board the school bus home. This bus keeps driving all afternoon ferrying students across the hillside. They need a second bus.... They need a lot of things......




The kids love the instant feedback of the iPad camera and after the first little girl became a photographic star, soon they were all demanding to have their photographs taken...









Education always makes a difference, but I was blown away by just what a golden opportunity these hill-side kids had been given.

With Lori released from her afternoon teaching duties, we take my taxi down the hill as close as we can get to the village, the last 500m's is only possible by walking through the rice terraces and corn fields...




The winding path into the village









A bee-hive in amongst the drying corn




The village is quiet, with most of the men away working in the surrounding towns. The women are friendly, we come across this lady with her grand daughter. The little girl was left by her mother with her Grandmother so that she can attend the English School. She is taking her time adapting and is one of the few kids we don't get a happy smile from...




I remark how difficult it must be not to adopt lots of children...




Lori takes me to her home to show me two handicraft projects she is working on with the village women to raise funds for the school. The first is soap manufacture and the second is hand made Himalayan dolls. Both the soap and the dolls employ the local women to the benefit of both the women and the school. I buy some cucumber & aloe vera goats milk soap and wonder what else I can do to help.....

Watch this space as together we can figure this out. There is a website just about to be launched and I will let you know...

Thank you Lori for an amazing day. No wonder the local villagers have taken you to their hearts, you are the Golden Lady of Sanji.

Little Wandering Wren

Comments

Neesie said…
A brilliant insight into something that few would normally see...I felt so priviledged to visit with you.
What an incredible special lady. It just shows what a difference one person can make!
Thanks for sharing. :D

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat