Skip to main content

Anyone for Tennis?!

Wow, Roland Garros 2016!!!
I never expected to be back in Paris,
let alone at my second tennis Grand Slam of the year.
 I am as surprised as some of my Facebook friends
'Are you at Roland Garros?' I'm asked. 
Well, there's just no sneaking into Europe unannounced these days is there?!



It is with massive thanks to Irina Falconi that only a few hours after arriving in France I'm pinching myself with the excitement, jet-fresh from Hong Kong, to be courtside at Roland Garros. They were pleased to see Melbourne Mum, I brought the sunshine, they said. How sweet, I smiled.

'No really, it's been freezing!'

So I don my big, floppy 'I come from a land Down Under' hat, you know the one rescued from the river in Inverloch -  style being my middle name, and feeling a lot like Crocodile Dundee, I set out to explore what's new this year. We're in before the crowds which give me the opportunity to have a nosey around whilst it's still quiet, just me and a few film crews...




Gosh, it really is just so swish! You could certainly have the most amazing week simply people watching and ogling what is going on off the courts. 


Let me take you back a step. We arrive at Roland Garros in an official 'Voiture VIP'. In France, these are sleek black Peugeots. The drivers, are of course equally as drop dead gorgeous as their shiny, polished vehicles. They must be all models surely?! In Australia, the Kia tournament cars are driven, well the ones I meet by retirees, who have driven the Aussie Open players for years. In 2014 the cars were emblazoned with "enjoy the ride." It sums up the difference between the two tournaments: 

Le style v's Le fun!



Sleek black Roland Garros Peugeots and below the Aussie Open transport with Crazy Poodle in our street.
In fact, is it just me, or is Roland Garros a land of totally beautiful people? Please tell me they have some really inappropriate recruitment policy. Roland Garros is so, so elegant. Any Grand Slam that has their linesmen in designer cardigans and their ball girls in skorts is making a style statement. In Australia, we make our ball girls wear a bottle green long sleeved top from the neck down to their knees, with a not-so-stylish, but great for the sun, legionnaire hats.


Top: Le Style Bottom: Le Fun
Then when you have stopped gawking at the Roland Garros staff there is the crowd! The real difference with Melbourne is that I see no tennis ball outfits, or national flag caps, there is hardly a painted face, unless we are talking a perfectly made up with Chanel or Dior. 

The next thing that is striking is the smoke. Don't try sitting anywhere on a bench by a bin at Roland Garros, as that is where the smokers gather. In Australia, we have a three-mile smoking exclusion zone around our sporting venues, our elite athletes don't have to walk through wafts of smoke... But not so in France!

Sadly, it doesn't feel as if there as many International tennis fans here as last year. It would be interesting to know whether numbers are down for overseas ticket holders. One thing that is definitely up is security. Wandering amongst us are the serious looking K9 dog handlers and I catch my breath when I see the Charlie Hebdo magazine with the picture of Egypt Air emblazoned on its front cover.


I stop and have a chat at the booth promoting the Noveau Roland Garros. The French Open has quite a challenge being in such a compact city area, but there are plans ahead to improve the site for players and spectators. The Australian Open now has three covered stadia and yet despite the weather forecast for more rain ahead this week in Paris, it is only the main Phillippe-Chatrier 15,000 seat court which will get a retractable roof by 2020 - only one I ask?

Aside from the eateries and merchandising stands, there is not a tremendous amount of off-court entertainment for tennis fans, unlike at Melbourne Park. We have music with live bands, sponsor promotions, giveaways, and competitions, with of course one magic ingredient which can be lacking in Paris, the weather! In Australia we have a day and evening program and our fans can relax well into the night, watching tennis on a ground pass ticket, on the outside courts and big screens.

In Paris, you need to hunt out the off court amusements. I always enjoy looking around the Roland Garros Museum and this year there are some interactive tennis games to be found there, I come back with a few photos of myself and I drink a gallon of Tropicana fruit juice which is handed out for free but not to worry as we are all here for the tennis, aren't we?


Sam Stosur, Irina Falconi, and Shelby Rogers 2nd round matches

I suppose you want to know all about the tennis don't you? 
Well, you know what they say don't you?
 'what happens on tour stays on tour!'

Sharing with thanks to Paulita at 

and to Phoebe at

Lou Messugo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat